Wednesday, July 28, 2010

House in Sea of Hydrangeas


The hydrangeas this year had grown like crazy. According to the expert, this was due to a very snowy winter, and thus the flower buds were protected inside the snow. Whatever reason it was, the flowers were just magnificent this year. So I decided to paint them with the house together. It's oil on 18x24" stretched canvas.

The view is an early morning view, so the air is crisp, and the sun is coming from the side. The reflections of the trees on the house windows were so neat I had to include them. If you look closely, you can even see of part of a lamp shade and part of a beam inside the house. Just minor details I thought would be interesting to include. I also simplified the deck since there were too many chairs, lounge chairs, towels hanging on the deck railing etc.

The hydrangeas were mostly painted with violet grey, combined with different colors, such as ultramarine violet, white, a little red. The chimney I kept relatively red since I thought it would be a nice complement with all the greens around. To give the big pine tree some fullness, beside the leaves and branches facing front, I also painted some back facing leaves and branches using ultramarine blue. (I think one of the Monet paintings had used that technique, so I decided to try it). Looking at this and the previous painting, it makes me want to go back to the island!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the look in this one. Did the hydrangea's really bloom so profusely? How fortunate! This painting makes me want to be there, on that deck, relaxing with a cool drink & a book. What a lovely morning you captured!

    ReplyDelete