Thursday, September 30, 2010

Union Square Dog Walker


This is my second submission for Virtual Paintout September 2010 challenge, Manhattan. It's oil on 8x10" canvas board.

I figure I would do another quick painting on Manhattan since I had been a commuter into the city everyday for so long. There were so many people at Union Square, doing various things. This dog walker caught my eyes as he and the dogs were just going along minding their own business in midst of all the hustle and bustle.

I experimented with a black underpainting and more loose brush strokes. I wanted to keep things simple so I cut out all the people, but giving a hint of the vendors inside the square. Palatte is very simple, the basic white, ultramarine blue, prussian blue, burnt umber, gold orchre, radiant violet. There's a burst of color on the dog leash with my leftover cadmium red and alizarin.

No comments:

Post a Comment