Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Wave is Cold!

This is for Calypso Moon Artist November 2010 challenge. It's oil on 10x12 canvas board.


This is the first time I'm doing a challenge for this website. The challenge was to capture a moment in time. When saw the challenge, I thought I had to do it, since I had this picture for a couple of years and I always wanted to paint it.

This was taken on Martha's Vineyard, MA a couple of years ago. The kids were playing at the beach, and the north Atlantic water was not exactly the warmest. A wave came in, and the boys were screaming cold and running out of the water.

To paint this, I first used an acrylic ground of a greenish mix yellow orchre and ultramarine blue for the ocean and wave, and yellow orchre for the boys. Then for oil paint I used cerulean, carribean blue, radiant turquiose, terre verde, yellow orchre, radiant violet, and ultramarine blue. For the kids I used lots of naples yellow, yellow orchre, cadmium orange and red, madder, ultramarine violet, ultramarine blue, terre verde, some lemon yellow. Finally I used a fan brush to put in the foreground crashing waves and flying water.

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca, this is wonderful! You really captured their joy (and their screams too). The water, the surf, everything - just a very wonderful painting. Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is really special. You depict these little guys so well, they are having so much fun. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job on this painting, really nice color and rendering, and a wonderful subject.

    ReplyDelete