Monday, February 28, 2011

Parked Gondola


This is for A Day Not Wasted, February 2011 challenge. It's oil on 9x12" canvas board.

This is the first time I'm doing a painting for this particular challenge. When I saw the reference photo (ref photo), it reminded me so much of John Singer Sargents' Venice paintings. So I decided even with the short month and all the house renovations that's going on, I wanted to do this challenge.

I had read that John Singer Sargents' palette included mars yellow. So for the fun of it, I got myself a tube of mars yellow. I started with an acrylic ground of black. My palette included mostly earthy tones: mars yellow, yellow orchre, burnt sienna, terra cotta, sepia, asphaltum, sap green, ultramarine violet and ultramarine blue. For the dark areas, I've left some of the black underpainting showing. I kicked up the color for the seats by adding in Indian red and a touch of Winsor dark red. For the far end of the background I took a more black and white approach (white plus sepia).

No comments:

Post a Comment