Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gay Head, Martha's Vineyard (Larger version)


This is a commissioned work of Gay Head, Martha's Vineyard. It's oil on 32x24" (25P) stretched canvas.

After doing a prototype (see post a couple of paintings ago), I had some idea in my mind on color and composition, so I went onto the larger canvas. Most elements here were similar to the prototype. However, in the larger version, I used more knife work for the cliffs since at this size, I couldn't get the nice edges with the brushes anymore. It took a bit of trial and error and scrapping off before I got something decent. I also gave it a bit more detail with the ocean than in the prototype. The colors used here are similar to those in the prototype: cobalt, cerulean, coral, cadmium orange, terra rosa, Indian red, cadmium yellow, burnt umber, ultramarine violet, violet grey, and Paynes grey. Thanks Phil and Lorraine for your donation into Tzu Chi Foundation for these three paintings: Gay Head, Ethan and Dylan at Farm Neck Golf Course.

No comments:

Post a Comment