Saturday, December 17, 2011

Foggy Bay


This is for Virtual Paintout, Eureka CA challenge. It's oil on 12x16 canvas panel.

When I saw this foggy scene at Arcata Bay (ref) in Eureka CA, it reminded me of some of Whistler's nocturne paintings. This scene is not exactly at night, but I wanted to try to capture the sense of fog and the different shades of grey on a foggy day.

I started out this painting with oil paint thinned out with turpentine, so the base color is similar to a water color wash. The foreground peninsular with the house has more color than the rest of the painting. I tried to lighten this greyish painting by adding in touches of yellow to give the hint that people have turned on their lights which were piercing through the greyish fog, similar to Whistler's nocturne paintings. I also tried to give a sense of sun breaking through by having shadows for the house, tree and the shed.

1 comment:

  1. I have always been afraid to tackle fog, it always seem so difficult to capture with a brush. You've made it look simple! Very nice work - love the yellow popping out from the fog. Yes, it made me think that people were home in their houses with the lights turned on.

    ReplyDelete