Monday, January 16, 2012

Strawberries and Copper Bowls


This is for Rookie Painter, December 2011 challenge. It's oil on 10x14 canvas board.

Coming back from a long holiday, I need to pick up my brushes again. I was looking at this photo over the holiday and was eager to dig into my paint and brushes. (ref) It was a nice pop of color of the strawberries vs. the reflective bowls.

I decided to use colors from the same family for the main objects, vermillion, cadmium red, cadmium orange, burnt sienna, burnt umber. The copper bowls, especially the upper two, were warmer in my painting than in the photo to keep in the same color family. I also made the reflection in the lowest bowl brighter for better contrasts with the strawberries. Lastly I added pops of pure vermillion onto the strawberries to make the color pop even more.

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous, Rebecca! Those strawberries look good enough to eat! :o)

    ReplyDelete